Subject: Re: [Leica] Zone blues
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 20:55:49 +0200

From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 1999 18:56

> I wouldn't take AA's word for it, but now that you
> say it, I have to ask. How come it's that expensive?
> That's 50% more than the US price.

A huge chunk is taxes and (sometimes) duties.  The rest pays for the staffing of
a local affiliate, whether it contributes anything to the product or not.

> Are the French being protective of their non-existent
> camera industry?

No.  Everything is more expensive.  Even telephone service is much more
expensive, even though the French have little to fear from foreign competitors
in the realm of telecommunications equipment.

  -- Anthony