Subject: Re: [Leica] The cost of going digital
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 11:00:13 +0200

From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 1999 03:59
Subject: [Leica] The cost of going digital

> I would argue that you do not save money by going digital.

You save a bundle by going to digital.  The only thing preventing everyone from
going to digital right now is that the upper limit on image quality is much
lower, especially for equal initial investment in cameras.  That will change,
however, and eventually digital will pretty much take over.  It will be slower
than it was with audio and publishing and what-not because the required
bandwidth is many orders of magnitude higher.  The same holds for
cinematography.

> There is no justification in going digital if your sole
> objective is to try to minimize film and lab processing costs.

If my sole objective were to minimize film and lab processing costs, I'd sell
all my cameras except the Nikon Coolpix 950 digital camera.  It only costs me
about a penny a shot (for batteries).

  -- Anthony