Subject: Re: [Leica] scanning Leica slides vs colorneg
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 17:44:51 -0700

"Robert G. Stevens" wrote:

> Mark:
>
> Slides need a scanner with a high Dmax.  The higher the number, the better
> it is at getting the shadow detail of the slide.  The best scanners
> currently for this is the Polaroid 4000 and the Nikon LS2000 with Dmaxes of
> 3.4 or so.  The polaroid is the faster of the two scanners if you are in a
> hurry.
>
> The problem with slides being scanned is the shodow detail is dark and the
> light reaching the sensor from this region can be very dim.  This means you
> have to have a very sensitive device and the rest of the scanners
> electronics have to be able to deal with the weak signal without it getting
> lost in the noise of the electronic system.  Sort of like Signal to Noise
> ratio in audio equipment.
>
><Snip>
Thanks there is such a thing as multi scanning. I take this to mean you could
perhaps do one scan for those bulletproof shadows and then combine them with the
overall scan thereby (with the added difficulty) coming up with a quality scan
from a difficult slide? I will check out your URL thought to see if they perhaps
deal with these issues.
Mark Rabiner