Subject: Re: [Leica] Grey Zone
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:08:57 -0400

Anthony wrote:
>>But what about color?  Also, I have no control over processing,
>>as I do not have my own lab and cannot afford to go to a custom
>>lab and instruct them on exactly how I want something processed.

Let's get this straight: you can afford high end Nikon (F5) and
Leica (M6) gear and then you skimp on your processing? I've
been keeping silent on your posts up to now, but I can refrain
no longer. I would *strongly* suggest that you will obtain better
results if you DIY and/or go to a pro lab. Sell the Nikon gear
and replace it with Pentax. Sell the M6 and get a used Canonet
or Hexar. I am serious. Your proiorities are exactly backwards.

If you don't take care with the media your hyper expensive
cameras and lenses won't do you any good. BTW, good pro labs
need not be obscenely expensive. For slide film, *maybe* 20%
more than the drug store. And a good lab is *much* less likely
to scratch or mismount your precious slides. It's worth the money.

- -Alexey