Subject: [Leica] Re: <no leica> Photo Vultures
From: "Paul Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 09:52:56 -0500

Mike Quinn wrote:
> Still, once light bounces off you and hits me, it ceases to be yours.
> I have every right to just stand there and collect it as it hits me, or my
> camera. You also have that right. If you don't want me to see and store your
> image in my brain or on film, you have to keep the light to yourself and
> prevent it from bouncing off of you.

Well put. BUT- while that reflected image may be yours for posterity sake,
it is not yours to appropriate to your benefit- without first obtaining my
release, or me receiving some remuneration. [This is about money, not art].

In a perfect world we'd be able to control use of our image. In this world
though we must resign to be subjected to abuses of many kinds.
While photographers may feel they are deeded certain rights to obtain
images, they are not given privilege to exceed propriety.

As we often relate back to the master HCB for reference; did he carry around
model releases? Did he intrude, or just blend in (camera vérité)?

Are photographers just another kind of butcher slicing up time?