Subject: Re: [Leica] Another Scala question...
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 23:47:23 +0200

From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 1999 21:19

> I guess in Zone system type parlance, I'm placing my
> brightest details in Zone VII or VIII, given Zone V is 18% gray

I'd like to know why the reference is 18% gray, rather than, say, 50% gray,
which seems more logical.

And how is 18% gray defined?  Does this mean a random pattern of 18 black dots
for every 82 white dots, or what?  Most of the gray cards I see look as though
they are actually more than 18% gray, but I'm not sure what the formal
definition of this is.

  -- Anthony