Subject: Re: [Leica] Grey Zone
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 13:09:31 -0700

>..  I'm getting
>better results more consistently than I ever did with my FG, which is
>interesting, since the FG presumably has a more sophisticated meter
>(although it seems to be considerably off from my other cameras and my
>spot meter).

It's not surprising that the FG reads rather differently from the F5, M6
or spot meter. The FG, along with the EM, FG-20, FA and F601, use a
"centerweighted" pattern with 40% of the meter sensitivity in the central
12mm circle and 60% of the sensitivity in the surrounding field. Kind of
an "edge-weighted" pattern, really. I've never quite understood the logic
behind this metering pattern, and it's one of the reasons I never bought
an FA, FG or FG-20 Nikon. (Perhaps the thinking was that for the casual
point-and-shoot customer who never looked at the metering pattern and
just pointed the camera with the horizon splitting the image, it would at
least tend to average the sky and foreground. But true centerweighting
seems to do the same job more consistently as most subjects are in the
center of the frame for such snapshooters.)

In general, I wouldn't exactly call any 'centerweighted' metering system
more sophisticated than the M6 selective area metering. They are almost
exactly the same in sophistication, the difference is whether a lens or a
limiter on the sensor cell is used. The M6's limiter is the size of the
white dot on the shutter curtain. All the instrumentation to evaluate
what either of these meter types is telling you is in your head... ;)

Godfrey