Subject: Re: [Leica] Grey Zone
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 12:12:24 +0200

From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 1999 04:14

> You know, it hadn't occurred to me before but Anthony
> could use his Nikon F5 as a metering trainer.

I've considered that, but carrying the F5 and the Leica at once would leave me
with backaches for sure.  Not to mention the amount of money I'd be carrying on
my person at one time!

I do know that the F5 likes f/8 at 1/250 for sunlit objects at ISO 100.  When I
went around with the Leica on Friday, I noticed that I was getting about the
readings, so I must be getting better.  Note that a lot of the photos I've taken
are not _obviously_ over- or underexposed; they are just off by a tad, with
highlights a bit too bright, or shadows that are a bit too inky.  I'm getting
better results more consistently than I ever did with my FG, which is
interesting, since the FG presumably has a more sophisticated meter (although it
seems to be considerably off from my other cameras and my spot meter).

> I recommended a similar exercise with an incident light
> meter, but the Nikon F5 might be even more instructive
> as it's actually adding some logic and evaluation on top
> of the plain 18% Grey reading.

I agree.  It's just a lot of weight and money to lug around both cameras.  I
suppose I could go out with the F5 and see what it decides in various situations
and make notes.  It consistently gets all exposures correct, so it's pretty
smart.

  -- Anthony