Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Plaubel Makina 67W
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 10:23:17 +0300

Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> >Wow, life is easy sometimes. Half a day after you express your
> hardware
> >dreams, the thing more or less exists and is available online.... But
>
> >I'll have to see one some day and fondle it a bit before I decide
> what's
> >really right for me. At a few hundred bucks I might make a wide
> gesture
> >like "well, yeah... gimme one of those", and then check out what it
> >really is that I bought. With $2,000 I have to excercise some more
> >restraint.
>
> I know what you mean. Actually, if you were willing to drop to a 6x4.5
> format, the Fuji 645W is available for a lot less money and has a
> similarly excellent lens. 45mm lens. It's not a folder but it's only
> barely thicker than the standare 645 folder is when folded up. Last
> one I saw at a swap meet was asking price around $550/650 in mint
> shape. I've often though that would be a great "poor man's"
> SuperWide...

I don't have a problem with the 645 format, since I like to compose
in-camera (the limits of the viewfinder are like an artistic tool to
me), and my 6x6 negs get cropped to something rectangular anyway. For
MF superwide I have a customized camera, which is essentially is a 47mm
Schneider built onto a 6x9 Horseman back. This is amazingly compact. But
then come the folder cameras into my life, and I feel I'm part of a
magician's show: 'click', and the camera is.............. gone.

I'll keep my eyes open for that Fuji, though.

Bernard.