Subject: Re: [Leica] What I'd like to see.
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 06:10:13 -0500

At 11:22 AM 9/25/99 +0200, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>Overall, or just on their 35mm equipment?  Leica makes all kinds of optical
>stuff, most of it very highly respected--if they are not even making a profit
>_overall_, they have a management problem, not a product problem.

The camera company is separate. They are no longer connected to the other
optical instrument companies under the name Leica. And finances do not
transfer.

But you are probably right about management, or the worker bees. Don't
assume it's the camera. The marketing might be the problem. Cars that sell
for $40,000 + don't seem to be having these problems. And with the
strengthening US dollar, things could get better for them (but not for us
Yanks!).

An interesting sidelight. The Gemological Institute of America, which
screens about 90 percent of the world's diamonds (or something like that),
and trains gemologists and jewelers with correspondence courses builds a
highly respected microscope for screening gems. It's all Leica optics.
(This is where I interviewed in San Diego last week).

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Photography is like a foreign language. Listen to the material. - John Sexton