Subject: Re: [Leica] What I'd like to see.
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 12:12:00 +0400

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> > The way I see it, if Leica starts down the road of
> > "average consumer products" the marque will be diluted,
> > and they'll end up in direct competition with companies
> > like Cosina and Konica.  they are ill equipped to do this.
>
> That's what happened to Nikon.  They used to be primarily oriented
> towards
> professionals.  Then, for some inexplicable reason, they felt the need
> to branch
> out into cheap consumer stuff.  This dilutes their reputation and
> distracts them
> from the high-end professional equipment for which they are
> justifiably
> renowned.

I remember how when I was a kid, I went "oh woooow.... a Nikon!". Now
it's just an everyman's brand. I have serious doubts Leica is doing
itself a favor with those $300 point and shoots they are marketing.
Leica exposes themselves to very direct comparison ("is the Leica-xyz
really better than the Ricoh-xyz?"). Before the days when they marketed
those things, it was more like "yes, it's three times as expensive....
take it or leave it, for nothing compares". That seemed like a better
sales pitch, than trying to prove you deliver most "bang for the buck".
Leica and "bang for the buck" ...... doesn't that send shivers down your
spine? Sorry, but I like a little class.

Bernard