Subject: Re: [Leica] New Provia, now E100VS and Skintones
From: "Isaac H Crawford" <isaacc@flashcom.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 23:04:43 -0400

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
To: LUG <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Friday, September 24, 1999 10:20 PM

> Anyway I did both shots using the same lights..the 100sw you could see
> detail in the tray the pies were sitting on, a dark tray, along with the
> shadow the pies cast on the tray...on the Velvia the trays were black -
> no detail or shadow, BUT the highlights in the tin pie tins were much
> more punchy and the color of the pecan pies was MUCH more rich...wish I
> had of had another roll of 100vs to test on that shot as I think it may
> have worked better than the 100sw did.

    I have heard this complaint about both Velvia and K25 (inky shadows) and
I wonder if we're just dealing with a film sensitivity issue. In other
words, it takes so much light for a slow emulsion to even register that
exposure has been given, aren't inky shadows just a fact of life with these
films? Wouldn't faster and faster films have the capability to render subtle
shadow detail better?
    I guess my point is that it may not be fair to compare Velvia to *any*
100 speed film in this one aspect...

Isaac