Subject: Re: [Leica] How about this.....
From: "Ken Iisaka" <kiisaka@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:06:31 -0700

From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
To: Leica Users Group <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Friday, September 24, 1999 12:40 AM

> To do this would require a complete, total reengineering of the Minilux.
> All I want is a modernized Leica CL ... they already have the engineering
> drawings and tooling for the old one. Just update the meter and use the
> M6 setup, I'll be happy! :)

In some ways, such a camera already exists: the Minolta CLE.

A former Minolta lens designer wrote that Minolta was frustrated by CL, and
went ahead and designed an M body as their designers liked it to be, with
parts already available.  The result is the CLE.  Minolta execs approached
Leitz about possibly marketting it with a Leica label, but Leitz execs at
the time declined, saying that the mechanical M body is the soul of Leica.