Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Problem loading film om Paterson spirals
From: Mike Gardner <mikeg@neca.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:50:37 -0400

I've used Patterson reels and tanks extensively for the past ten years.  Other than
the reels needing to be dry, the only other potential trouble spot I've found is to
make sure the little metal balls that grip the film to advance it are free in their
little sockets.  I never have trouble with 35mm but sometimes thin rollfilms like Agfa
100 have a bit too much curl on the very end to feed easily.  I just snip off a 1/4
inch or so (watch those fingers!) from the end of the film eliminating the worst of
the curly end and then it feeds fine.  Thicker base films like Tri-X  or HP5+ seem to
start easier.  My final film rinse is in distilled water which also helps to keep any
mineral deposits from forming on the small metal balls.

Mike Gardner