Subject: RE: [Leica] New Provia
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 10:49:39 -0500

Peter,

I am still shooting a lot of Velvia on things that do not include
people...really great for that.  But have gotten tired of the "Pumpkin
Head" syndrome that velvia gives most cacusains....I have since switched
to E100VS...really like the look of that stuff even better than the
E100SW, IMHO.  But with all the hype on the new provia (refering to the
hype from Fuji here not the LUL comments--spoke to BillPrudner this week
and he was going on and on about the new Provia....maybe Sunday at the
Panthers game I'll see my buddy from Fuji and talk him out of a few rolls
of it.) I am curious as to how it renders skin tones.

Did a side by side shoot last week of students in a High School nursing
class for one of our Magazines.  I lit the scene with White Lightning
Ultra 1200's and shot first E100VS then Velvia...the winner for skin tone
and clean whites with saturated colors was E100VS...even my fellow
photographer who thinks Velvia is the only film made agreed and we
ordered 50 rolls of VS..still ordered 200 rolls of Velvia also...but at
least now I have an option when shooting people.

On 9/24/99 9:23 AM Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter) wrote:

>Harrison,
>
>Hope you don;t mind but I would also like to answer this.  The E100VS is
>good but too too saturated when you include skies.  The Provia 100F is more
>natural and renders a real blue sky (as opposed to a super saturated blue
>sky produced by VS). Overall the colroing is slightly less than E100SW but
>very accurate.
>
>Peter K

Best regards,
Harrison McClary