Subject: RE: [Leica] 35mm Noctilux
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:12:04 +0100

Larry wrote:

>But Nikon's 24 mm f/2 lens has just a 52 mm filter front. And I'd think
>modern aspherics could make such a lens smaller and/or lighter and/or
>optically better than the Nikon (and the 24 f/2 Nikkor is no slouch to
>begin with). That seems entirely practical -- and a realistic hope -- for
>the M system.

I, too, was surprised at the relative compactness of a mint non-AI 35/1.4
Nikkor which arrived from KEH yesterday. This is a relatively old lens
design, but still has a 52mm filter ring (which now has a Nikon UV
filter...). Given the much smaller backfocus of the Leica M compared to the
Nikon F/F2, an 35/1 Noctilux shouldn't be that much bigger, surely?

Personally I'm very happy with my early 35/1.4 Summilux, which is light,
small, and no slouch wide open.

Slan

Alx

Alex Hurst