Subject: RE: [Leica] 35mm Noctilux
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 17:51:53 -0300

Larry:

The size of the Nikon or Canon lenses will have little to do with the size
of a Leica equivalent on the M cameras.  M lenses are always smaller than
the equvalent SLR lens.  It has something to do with the lack of a mirror
and that the lens can be closer to the film plane.  My Noctilux is
physically no bigger than a Canon 50mm 1.8 EF lens.  It is much heavier
though!  The canon 50mm F1 is probably twice the size of the Noctilux and
heavier.

Perhaps Erwin Putts could explain why the M lenses are so small compared to
their counterparts in the R line.

Regards,

Robert