Subject: [Leica] getting used to a lens
From: "Johnny Deadman" <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 19:40:41 +0100

Recent post advises taking six months to get used to a lens.

Couldn't agree more. For years I only shot on a 28, then bought a 24 which
has been my main lens for four years. Now, coincidentally, I bought a 35/1.4
for the Leica and a 35/2 for the T90. I'm looking forward to making a
different kind of picture.

Incidentally, Canon FD lenses are one of the great photo bargains of current
times. I bought my 35/2, which was pretty beat up but optically perfect, for
$100 more or less. I just saw an 85/1.8 for the same price. Great lens. Some
lenses, like the 24/2, go for a lot more, but there are some astonishing
bargains to be had -- especially with all these cheap 28-300 zooms around
tempting people to *finally* get rid of all that accumulated MF kit. Check
out ebay for a start (and despite what people say, there are good bargains
to be had here. I got my summilux on ebay from a reputable trader for about
$150 less than I would have in a store in England, if I could have FOUND a
user 35/1.4, that is. One of the great advantages of ebay is that you can
find stuff very quickly, and if you only buy from people with LOTS of good
comments, especially stores with good reps, you are pretty safe.

I am going to put some pix up on the web shortly... will give out URL and
don hard hat.
- --
Johnny Deadman

"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him" - Thoreau