Subject: [Leica] Help! Leica IIIf Black Dial Problem
From: P2CON@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 15:18:58 EDT

Hi all,
Here is a problem for you screw-mount people out there. I picked up a IIIf BD
from eBay (I know -- that's my problem!!!).  I have 7 days to evaluate it so
immediately put a roll through it in my back yard. First problem, the
rangefinder is essentially unusable due to internal crud, or mirror
de-silvering. I can make it almost usable by placing an orange filter in
front of the rangefinder viewing lens, but it is still pretty dim.
Second problem is a light leak into the take-up film chamber through two
holes in the top deck under the film counter. The light spills onto the film
as it is being wound on after a shot. It looks like the two holes are screw
holes with no screws in them. I am suspecting there is a missing mechanism
there having to do with the film counter, as the counter can only be reset to
the start position by rotating the wind knob through a complete set of
numbers to align the arrow with a proper starting position.
Any input from a knowledgeable screw mount user will be much appreciated. I
know I can fix the light leaks just by plugging the holes, and I can live
with the tedious resetting of the film counter. Is it a major problem to get
the rangefinder cleaned up or otherwise made usable?

TIA, and regards, Paul Connet