Subject: Re: [Leica] The work of other photographers
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 11:00:48 -0700

Paul Chefurka wrote:

> > Look again at my post.  I said, "I don't like to _read_ about them
> > [photographers]."  I also said, "I admire the work of others [other
> > photographers]."  I'm puzzled as to how you came to the
> > conclusion that I don't
> > look at the work of other photographers when that's exactly
> > the opposite of what I said in my post.
>
> Sorry for the misinterpretation, Anthony.  The original poster had suggested
> you get a book by Brassai, as it contained examples of night shots taken
> without the benefit of fast lenses. ><Snip>   IMO there is a distinction between imitation and
> learning.  While that line can get blurred pretty easily (eg. among
> graduates of Freeman Patterson workshops), it is possible to use others'
> work as a learning tool.
>
> Paul Chefurka

People are always so paranoid about originality. Afraid of doing something that
has been done before. I say rip them off the best you can you'll be lucky if you
come close and will probably learn something along the way. The only thing
original is death and taxes. (I am confusing something?)
Mark Rabiner