Subject: RE: [Leica] 135/2.8 Tele Elamarit
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:40:22 +0100

Kevin,
let's see if I can help...
The first 135/2.8 Tele Elmarit M was introduced in 1963, I have never seen
a picture or a lens showing screws for the owner to use in removing the
spectacles, though naturally the 'specs' are mounted onto the lens with
screws. If these were removed this would disable the focusing accuracy. The
'spectacles' enlarged the viewfinder by 1.4x to enable a better view and
more accuracy in the focusing.
The same lens design was used for the 135/2.8 R lens introduced in 1964
with the first Leicaflex, that (R) lens was then recomputed in 1968.
The Tele Elmarit (M) was eventually recomputed in either 1975 (Laney) or
1977(Hasbroek). The latter lenses are known by their serated focusing grip
rather than the earlier scalloped design.
Of course, this lens is now discontinued in favour of the Apo Telyt
135/3.4. However there are many stores still offering new stock.
best wishes,

Jem