Subject: Re: [Leica] 21mm Elmarit-M vs 50mm Noctilux
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 22:00:13 EDT

In a message dated 9/23/99 1:43:28 AM, ryuen@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< If someone were to give you a free lens and the choice was between the
21mm Elmarit-M or the 50mm Noctilux, which would you choose and why?

Not that I am given this choice, but I was just curious as to what is
more important to the average LUG member, wide angle coverage or the
ability to take pictures in the dark. >>

If I hadn't just bought a 24mm that would be easy . . . I'd go for the 21mm.
Given the choice today I'd take the 50mm, sell it and buy a "normal" 50 and a
90 and maybe another body. I just can't think of enough situations where I
would be able to make use of the narrow depth of field at f 1.0 to justify
that honking piece of glass.

Also, while I've never even held a Noctilux, I suspect that there really
isn't that much difference in low-light usability between the two lenses when
you take "hand-holdability" into account. I just can't imagine reliabely
hand-holding that big 50 at much less than 1/60 while I'm quite confident
1/15 is a pretty safe bet with the 21mm -- if my math is correct that's only
a one stop advantage for the the Noctilux.

I'm sure I'm just not sophisticated enough to appreciate it but I view the
Noctilux and similar lenses as "freaks" -- toys for those hung up on numbers
and not really a practical tool for day to day photography. I'm quite sure
your mileage will vary . . .

Bob (doesn't carry anything faster than f2.0) McEowen