Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom Equipment
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:22:50 -0700

Anne-Temp_Brackett@READERSDIGEST.COM wrote:

> I am currently printing in black and white using RC paper. I am fully
> committed to photography, as all you LUGNUTS are and want to take the next
> step into printing on Fiber. I use the JOBO Processor and understand that I
> can print Fiber paper in drums. I request direction in the following:
>      Do I need an archival wash?
>      Does anyone use a densitometer? If so, which one?
>      How do you dry the paper (screens or dryer)?
>      Any other suggestions?
> Thank you.
>
> Anne

The use of a densitometer will not help you make the transition to fiber, it is
a whole other ball of wax which one out of every ten thousand fiber printers
involve themselves in (I made that figure up out of thin air!) Start printing first.
I made a stack of dryer screens out of one by one's, a miter saw, above average
staple gun and plastic screen. I now use them for my RC contact sheets too
instead of clothespins like I had done since RC's inception. If you say the
drums can do fiber that is news to me I am not a drum person.
When you put a sheet of fiber paper into a tray of developer it slowly gets
softer and softer (remember folks?!). That is why I wonder about the drums which
would I thought relay on stiffer paper.
Mark Rabiner
Fiber dries down darker than RC but that Gap seems to be narrowing.