Subject: Re: [Leica] Cleaning, Lubrication and Adjustment
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 23:49:55 +0200

From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 1999 22:59

> I'll usually send a piece of equipment for service to a
> trusted, experienced repair tech when I discover it isn't
> working to spec.

But how does one find a trusted, experienced repair tech without risking one's
equipment?  I don't even know who services Leicas here in France (and I hope I
never have to find out--although I suppose it's in that little Passport booklet
somewhere).

> ... or the rangefinder needs to be adjusted ...

How sensitive is the rangefinder to shock?  Will it drift on its own, or does it
take some sort of shock or damage to do it?  The Leica book (the "Program" book)
brags that a rangefinder is much more complex than an SLR viewfinder, but I
don't find that reassuring--it means that there is a lot more to get out of
adjustment.  My impression, in fact, is that this is the most delicate part of
the camera--is this correct?

> He advised that it would be a good thing to clean the
> entire shutter and relubricate it, along with the film
> transport. I did so: it was likely the first time that
> camera had ever been serviced.

You're lucky that he knew what he was doing.  Having worked in this kind of job
myself, I know how undertrained people can sometimes be, and it makes me
nervous.

  -- Anthony