Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] Re:Ask?
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 17:49:24 EDT

In a message dated 9/21/99 12:49:32 PM, anthony@atkielski.com writes:

<<> I'm always amazed that I can walk up to a complete
> stranger and start shooting pictures often with little
> more than the briefest introduction -- sometimes it's just
> a brief eye contact.

Even if they don't know why you are taking pictures.

Maybe you look like a professional with a legitimate purpose, and that
"proves"
that you aren't a pervert.  I've heard that wearing a multipocketed vest or an
extra lens case can open many doors, although I haven't tried this myself.
If I
were braver, I might try it out.

Well, I DO have a legitimate purpose -- I don't generally shoot photos of
strangers for fun -- but I don't wear a vest -- can't stand the things. I do
carry a beat-up Domke bag and beat-up cameras. But really, it's just a case
of how you carry yourself. I don't know how to describe it as I've never
watched myself but generally, I just make the most cursory introduction -- if
I'm on public property, the long version goes something like: "How ya' doing?
I'm Bob McEowen, I'm doing a story for Rural Missouri, mind if a take a few
pictures of ya' while you're (working, playing, fill in the blank)." If it's
on private property I'll introduce myself and spend a couple of minutes
shooting the breeze while I tell them what I'm doing. Like I said before,
sometimes I don't even introduce myself, I just start shooting. You just have
to feel the folks out, react to their reactions and just sort of assume
you've got permission until you get an indication otherwise. It really is an
attitude thing.

The one thing I NEVER do is tell the subjects to do anything for me beyond
"Just keep doing what you were doing" or "ignore me" or "forget I'm here." If
I sense they're paying attention to me I'll stop shooting for awhile.

Bob McEowen