Subject: [Leica] Why street photos?
From: "Johnny Deadman" <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 18:53:34 +0100

Most of my street photos are not candid, in the sense that usually people
cotton on to the fact that they're being photographed. A pair of eyes, even
if they're not those of the main subject, boring into you out of the picture
can sometimes really make the whole frame resonate.

Anyway, post asks why do it, if not for fame, to decorate our apartments or
earn $$$ for new shoes for the baby?

My answer: because good photography, like all good art, is research into the
world and ourselves. From the day I first started taking people pictures I
realised the camera was the most direct way I had ever found of not just
showing, but discovering, how I felt about the world and how it looked to
me.

A very good motion picture cameraman called Mike Fox once told me (when
drunk, I think, as it was after a long day shooting) that whereas people
often say good cameramen had 'a good eye', he thought good cameramen were
actually people who couldn't see very well...but were always trying to see
better. I think I agree with that, even if it sounds a tad pretentious.

For a longer exposition of the same thing, read Robert Frank's Guggenheim
Application in the long-out-of-print but often-to-be-found-in-bookstores
'Photographers on Photography', from which the quote in my sig is culled.
(He in turn nicked it from Malraux). This also has HCB's introduction from
THE DECISIVE MOMENT in it, I think (what a stupid title, by the way...HCB is
much more about the indecisive moment, which the original French title
implies).

One final comment: street photography at its best is not OF but ABOUT the
world. Not OF people and things, but ABOUT the relationships between people
and people and people and things and things and things and all of these with
ourselves. The same goes for great landscape photography, which is why it is
so hard -- as opposed to  merely good landscape photography, which is
relatively easy IMHO. But I would say that, I suppose.

- --
Johnny Deadman

"One is ashamed to want so much for oneself - but how else are you going to
justify your failure and your effort?" - Robert Frank