Subject: Re: [Leica] was consistent underexposure problem
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 23:38:26 +0200

From: Dominique PELLISSIER <Dominique.Pellissier@droit-eco.univ-nancy2.fr>
Sent: Monday, September 20, 1999 19:28

> As you know the cost of labor in Portugal is not as
> high as in Germany.  Now the process of fabrication
> includes much handwork.

But I assume that this is skilled hand work, and if so, shopping around for
cheap labor to accomplish it seems like an attempt to increase profits at the
expense of quality.

> Made in Germany, made in Canada, made in Portugal, made
> in Japan : it doesn't matter.Made by (or for) Leica is
> important.

It matters a lot.  I buy Sony TV sets, and I long ago noticed that the best of
them are made in Japan.  The ones made in the UK are often less than perfectly
adjusted.

> We are in a global economy.

Most countries are good at certain things but not others.  I wouldn't go to
Germany for a good meal, but I'm certainly interested in their cameras.  I'm
happy to eat a good meal in France, but I won't buy French cell phones.  And so
on.

  -- Anthony