Subject: RE: [Leica] Street shooting
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 18:42:14 +0100

He was that far (infinity) away?
This is where knowing your camera and lens really well helps, and also
where some of us berate the loss of those focusing tabs on Leitz/Leica
lenses.
The first lens I got to know intimately in that respect was a 35/2.8
Summaron for my IIIb. You knew where infinity and 1m were obviously, but
the best, most used, distance for people photography was about 6 feet away
and that was with the tab at 6 o'clock, immediately below the lens - I got
some great pictures like that.
Beaumant Newhall describes (in his autobiography, 'Focus') a lovely cafe
scene where he was with H.C-B and without looking at his camera the
exposure and focus were set for a portrait of someone across the tables. In
an instant the scene was recorded because H.C-B knew what the exposure
would need to be and he knew how to prefocus his camera, these are the
techniques of a craft which are sadly not learnt by a modern generation of
photographers.

Jem (sounding older by each post...)