Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V11 #86
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 01:46:01 -0700

Johnny Deadman wrote:

> >> Anyone who asks me can always have a copy of the photo
> >> in question ...
> >
> > What percentage of people actually ask for a copy?
>
> Almost none. It used to be more, but I think people have so gotten used to
> documentary film crews they kind of blank out photographers these days. You
> often find that it's the toughest looking people who are most flattered by
> being photographed and the keenest to see the  result.
>
> >> ... and I will always explain who I am and what I am doing.
> >
> > What purpose do you give them in explanation?  What _is_ your purpose, usually
> > (journalism, personal interest, or what)?
>
> Well, they're just for me. Art, for want of a better word. I usually just
> say "I'm a photographer, and I like to take pictures of people", which is
> absolutely true. I give them my phone number if they are interested.
>
> --
> Johnny Deadman

Give the impression and they are just for you and when they then see themselves
on a gallery wall or when Time prints a retrospective of your best work you have
just gone against your word and possibly also a legal issue. You cant keep in
touch with your model forever so it's best not to talk "USE."
Promise them some money if you ever make money off it and whose responsibility
is it to keep in touch? How much did Mona Lisa get down the road? Did she stay
in the local phonebook?!
Mark Rabiner