Subject: [Leica] leica production location and repetitive stories
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:46:55 +0200

Antony wrote in part:
"I am disappointed, then.  No matter what anyone might claim, assembly in
"Portugal is not the same as assembly in Germany.
In a very trivial sense this statement is of course true, the
assembly is in a different location. The implication however might be
that assembly in Germany is of some ephemeral superior quality.
Well it is not. Production quality in Portugal is as high as if not
higher than that in Germany. The few fortunates who have visited the
Portugal factory can support this view. It might be seen as an insult
to the workers and their managers at the Portugal factory  to imply
any inherent inferiority in their ethics, ability or  propensity for
striving for and attaining the Solms quality. I personally would
attest that they equal the Solms criteria in all respects. The Solms
workers  are very dedicated to their job and proud of the products
they produce. So are the Portugal people. Both work under the same
rules of inspection and quality control and are trained by the same
people who work partly in Solms and partly in Portugal.

This topic has been discussed extensively on the Lug as have the
other current issues (exposure metering, ethics of street photography
and tripod use and selection and the true speed of D3200). As is to
be expected we find the usual mix of miserably wrong and sound advice
and it is up to everybody to make sure that (s)he can identify what
is true and what is false.

It might help however if contributors to this list would refrain from
posting about any topic unless they have looked into the archives
what the current state of the discussion is.

This list progresses because of added value, not by walking in
circles. There is simply no substitute for research and reflection
before going public.

Erwin