Subject: Re: [Leica] What I did today
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 10:22:14 +0200

Anthony,

I live in Belgium. As you are well aware, we have had some terrible cases of child
abductions, sexual abuse and murder here over the past couple of yours. In this
environment, it is entirely understable that parents might become uneasy about a
stranger photographing their children without permission. I can assure you that if
you chose to exercise your perceived right to do so just because they are in a
public place, and if a parent then took your Leica and smashed it on the ground, the
authorities here would come down on the side of the parent and not the photographer.
And frankly, I agree with it. If someone acts as an asshole and loses his equipment
or gets punched in the face as a result, he is only getting what he deserves.

I have actually photographed other people's children in various public settings, but
only after talking to the parents and explaining who I am and why I want to take
pictures. I find that having my own children with me greatly helps in this situation
and reassures the parents.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman