Subject: Re: [Leica] Recomemdations for M6 Camera Tripod
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 17:54:04 -0700

> I am in need  of a new tripod for the M Camera. I would like to know the
> "minimum" sized tripod that can be recommended for a M camera.

Well, I have the other side of the coin. I have a nice sturdy Bogen 3122
with Manfrotto ball head that weighs a ton, doesn't collapse much, and
places a 35mm camera at eye level just barely higher than my eye without
extending the column. It has held my Nikon F3+Vivitar 600/8 Series 1
Solid Cat very well ... That's about 11 lbs of camera and lens. I think
the earth can move and the bloody tripod won't. It is rock steady with a
Leica M, Rolleiflex, Contax G, Leica CL or Minox C on it ... ;)

(Actually, the Manfrotto ball head is at it's limit for the Nikon and
Vivitar combination. I think I'm going to get a Linhof head for it soon
as I'm not comfortable risking the Solid Cat on the Manfrotto.)

I don't believe in lightweight tripods. If I'm going to carry the bloody
thing, I want it to work. I think I use this one three/four times a year.
And anytime I pull the Vivitar beastie out for a shoot - I know I can't
hold that thing steady, even at 1/4000 second.

Godfrey