Subject: Re: [Leica] Consistent underexposure problem
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 11:34:11 -0700

Anthony,

A small point: I'm not so familiar with the Nikon F5 specifics but I seem
to recall the spot circle on the F5 focusing screens being 4mm in
diameter. That's closer to about 3% of the image area. The Leica M6 meter
integrates it's reading from an approximate 12mm central spot so it's
about 13% of the image area.

Yes, the size of the integration spot does differ by quite a bit, but in
either case if you can recognize what to meter and how to evaluate the
reading properly, you'll be able to adjust the exposure to obtain good
results.

Of course, the type of meter is less important than how you use it. My
preference for the incident meter is due to the fact that I find it
easier to use and I've gotten better results with it, in general,
probably because I'm too lazy to do the detailed analysis that a true 1
degree spot meter requires for best results.

>> True. However, I find I keep using the incident meter
>> for flash setups and for tricky lighting when it's difficult
>> to find the correct exposure.
>
>Indoors or outdoors?

Both. In my Heliar vs Hologon test work, I was quite interested to find
that the Sekonic L328F incident meter gave me a better exposure baseline
than either of the Leica CL and Contax G2 meters with these extremely
broad coverage lenses. The Leica's TTL central spot reading and the
Contax' centerweighted external meter sensor were simply influenced by
too much at the edges of the subject area to provide a proper exposure
without some additional evaluation. The incident meter provided exactly
the correct exposure on the baseline for the scene.

I'll carry my incident meter a little more frequently now that I am
reminded where the built-in meters are fallible.

>> And for testing equipment.
>
>You really like to test equipment, don't you?

Only once in a while. The Hologon vs Heliar comparison has been an
interesting diversion, and I do like to test any new equipment I buy to
see that it performs up to my expectations. In use, if I suspect a
problem with any piece of equipment, I test it out immediately. As a
result, I'm rarely caught out when I'm work with anything in the field
doing "real" work and I can have great confidence in the reliability of
my equipment.

Godfrey