Subject: RE: [Leica]underexposure problem - basic things to check
From: "Tim Atherton" <timphoto@nt.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 12:36:36 -0600

I have deleted the original post on this, so I can't exactly remember the
details of this person query, but as I recall, they were new to leica M's.
And no-one to date seems to have given any basic, down to earth - pointers
about leica M metering.

SO:

1. Check the basics -  that the battery is okay. If it is one that came with
the camera, it could be that it has sat for months and is a little past it.
Look out for one of the single cell lithiums that fits the M - mine has
lasted for over 18 months so far.

2. Make sure you understand how the M meters! Read the section of the manual
on this. The centre metered area changes with the lens being used - this can
fool you at first, because you are viewing it through the same rangefinder
image all the time. If you are using a wide angle, you could be metering a
much larger area and therefore including more varied reflected light) than
if you are using a telephoto.

(Remember, you are using a manual camera you can take a reading and leave
the camera set up like that. It isn't going to change on you as you move the
lens around!- if I am outdoors, I will often just point the camera down at a
piece of road in the same light as I am shooting in - if it is a nice mid
grey tone - and use that as my basic metering guide.)

3. Check that the contacts in the back haven't some how got dirtied up.

4. Find a grey card (some basic texts on photography even have them as their
back inside cover, so you can probably even find on at the library, without
having to go out an buy one!) and  run a few tests. Meter and photograph
the grey card in different light conditions (using slide film) and then
compare the slides with the grey card. They should look the same - if they
are still wildly off, then you may have a meter problem. Just make sure that
with the lens you are using, that you are ACTUALLY metering the card and not
the surrounding area as well. At the moment, you DON"T need to go out and
buy an expensive meter. I have one - I use it with my large format stuff - I
hardly ever need to use it with my Leica.

All that being said, if you still find it overexposes - bad luck. You will
have to send it back. Let your annoyance be known. In fact, why not just
take it back to the dealer and demand he replaces it!

My own experience with the M6 is that it meters very well ONCE YOU
UNDERSTAND EXACTLY how it does its metering. I often get more consistent
results with it than with my Nikon F4. It is great for slides.

E Mail me off the list if you want to go over this some more. I feel you
probably need straightforward advice on how the M6 works, instead of the
number of off-centre response you got.

Tim A