Subject: [Leica] Flames, Camera bags, The 15mm f/4.5 Heliar, On M3 loading, Laphroaig
From: Tom Bryant <tbryant@pars5.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 08:40:29 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Luggers!

    As always, the LUG continues to amuse, and invite comment.  Here Goes!

    The M7 flame.

        It Was AWFUL.  Besmirched all the participants.

    On Camera Bags and/or Vests.

        I've owned several:

        A Vivitar hard case that looks like a fanny pack.  I don't much
        like it.  It's awkward, and nothing seems to fit nicely within its
        unforgiving sides.  You could probably drive a small car over it,
        and it would protect it's contents, however.

        A "PackTrails" foam and satin lined soft case.  Very nice, until the
        foam rotted and deposited a layer of foam dust all over my equipment.
        The damage was cleanable, and the case went into the trash.

        A Hard aluminum Halliburton wannabe.  Nice.  Sturdy.  Very Attractive
        to thieves.  I don't dare use it for anything for this latter reason.
        It's first class for shipping equipment in the back of my car,
        however.

        A Nikon VestStrap.  I use this more than anything else.  Lots of space
        in unpadded pockets which are fairly easy to access.  I don't use the
        strap part of it, as I have found straps get in the way at the most
        awkward times.  I make it a point to hold on to the camera very
        carefully, and haven't damage one yet...  The only problem with this
        is that you *look* like a photographer, so it's not the garb of
        choice when you wish to blend in.

        When carrying expensive equipment, disguise is as important as
        anything else.  I've used medium sized cardboard boxes to stash things
        in, and a beat up attache case is another favorite.  A Billingham bag,
        would just scream "Steal ME".

        I guess that I should learn to carry less equipment.  An M body,
        35, 90, meter and a few rolls of film will fit in the pockets of most
        jackets.  It's when I get fanatic about wanting the 21, 135, 50, a
        second body and a tripod that I start looking around for equipment
        transport.

        BTW, and M3 with its body cap and the lenses with their rear caps
        will fit in pockets that can only hold P&S.  The M3 and it's lenses
        have always produced superior results to my P&S, at least for me.

    The 15mm f/4.5 Heliar.

        Professor Brennan bought one, and turned it over to me for a time for
        testing.  (His IIIf is with Sherry for overhaul, and it's taking her
        *FOREVER* to get around to working on it [5.5 months, and counting])

        I can only echo what's been said by others.  It's a great lens, and
        the build quality is excellent.  It's not quite up to Leica, but I'm
        being picky.  It's the best Cosina product I've ever handled.

        I took some shots with it, and then my 21mm Asph.  I'll keep you
        posted on the comparison, once they're back from the photofinisher.

    On M3 loading

       Several have commented on how slow it is to load an M3.  I can do it
       in about 40 seconds, but that's when I'm in a great hurry.  An M4
       or more recent would take about 10 seconds, or less.  For me this is
       not a problem, because I've NEVER had a roll of film not wind correctly
       through my M3, but over the years I've been failed by Canon, Exakta,
       Nikon... Reliability is more important than speed.  Occasionally, I
       rewind halfway through a roll, and I can always feel the film pull
       loose of the take up spool with the M3.  Not so most other cameras.

   Completely off topic:

       If you love peaty single malts, the 15 yr old Laphroaig is superb.
       Leica like in it's price, too.  However, if you drink it right, it
       should last as long as the equivalent price in beer.  Tiny sips and
       mellow appreciation.

   Metering:

       Since I became a devotee of hand held incident metering, my percentage
       of spot on exposures had roughly doubled.  I use the Sekonic 308B.
       It's small, light, accurate, and uses a single AA battery.

      :-)

      Tom

The Third Law of Photography:
        If you did manage to get any good shots, they will be ruined
when someone inadvertently opens the darkroom door and all of the dark
leaks out.