Subject: [Leica] Explosions
From: "Johnny Deadman" <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 10:11:34 +0100

> I'm always surprised by the loud, short, snappy "pop" sound of most real life
> movie explosions, as opposed to the prolonged blast sound one hears on the
> soundtrack.  I read once that the soundtrack versions come from extremely
large
> military explosions, far beyond the size of the movie explosions for which
they
> are used.

Yes, that's true, you always tend to use a bigger one than you need. Plus,
you tend to put on a lot of reverb -- even though outdoor sounds don't have
much reverb unless you're surrounded by mountains -- which accounts for the
long 'tail'of decay after the initial attack of the sound.

- --
Johnny Deadman

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the
difference between lightning and a lightning bug" - Mark Twain