Subject: [Leica] staged footage
From: "Johnny Deadman" <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 22:22:56 +0100

> I believe that the viewing public would have accepted, with
> equanimity, the purpose of the WWI staged footage IF it was
> bannered with something like, "The following footage is presented
> as close to the actual conditions as possible, but is staged. The
> actual scene could not be photographed since the photographer's
> life would have been severely threatened". They did accept it,
> only to learn later that it was staged. Damn, I hate having to be
> on my toes every moment of my life, and, that's what it is coming
> to. Make a place for another one, Barnum, here I come!

But no broadcasting or distribution chain in the world would ever label
something this way. (I worked in network current affairs TV for several
years). They would just not transmit it.

Also, with respect, I think you're wrong about people accepting explicitly
labelled reconstructions as news. They may accept it on 60 minutes but not
the 11pm with Dan Rather or whoever does it now.

- --
Johnny Deadman

"Writers, like teeth, are divided into incisors and grinders" - Bagehot