Subject: RE: [Leica] Cosina/Voigtlander & new camera
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 08:35:24 +0100

Gerry,
One of the interesting aspects of this fairly recent resurgence of interest
in rangefinder production in Japan, is that as far as I can ascertain, the
companies involved seem to be making no attempt to directly 'beat Leica'.

I read that the reason that these lenses and cameras are being made is
partly through homage, indeed the CEO of Cosina is a dedicated Leica fan,
and would not want to see the end of this venerable manufacturer. The
founder of Yasuhara cameras speaks plainly about not wanting to repeat the
effects of the 1950s and 60s where the Japanese camera industry decimated
the W. German business. I have a supposition that this might even have
effected the apertures of the new lenses brought out by Cosina, none of
them will compete directly with lenses from Leica, i.e., they will not be
judged against a Summicron or Summilux if the aperture is f1.7. The 50/1.5
Nokton has a historical reason for that aperture but the 75/2.4 (or is it
.5?) might suggest that it would not wish to 'fight' against a 75 Summicron
, if such is on the cards. Maybe Cosina know more than us?!

But in your note of irony, I concur. There is something of the Trojan horse
invading Leica's own territory, coming in as an old compatriot!

Jem