Subject: Re: [Leica] Weight vs size
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 21:47:54 -0400

As an avid Olympus OM user myself, I might want suggest to compare the M6
kit to a similar OM kit, which is often thought of as the M-series of SLR's
(mentioned on this list more than once.)

21/2                    250
35/2                    240
50/1.2                  285
100/2 or 90/2Macro      520 / 550
OM4-T           510
Total                   1,805 / 1,835

You give up a little speed in the 35 but pick it up in the 21.

or substitute the fabulous 35-80/2.8 Zoom for the 35, 50, & 90

21/2                    250
35-80/2.8 ED            650
OM4-T           510
Total                   1,410

Skip

At 9/16/99 09:53 AM  -0700, you wrote:

>Another point is that you have to compare apples to apples.  Let's assemble
>comparable systems and compare:
>
>Elmarit 21 ASPH 300
>Summilux 35     ASPH    310
>Noctilux 50             630
>Summicron 90 ASPH       500
>M6                      580
>Total                   2320 grams
>
>EF 20 2.8               405
>EF 35 1.4               580
>EF 50 1.0               985
>EF 100 f2               460
>EOS1                    895
>Total                   3325 grams
>
>The additional weight of the SLR system, combined with its additional bulk
>(hence, leverage, as the bag will stand out from your body more), makes for
>a system that is more fatiguing to carry.
>
>This is the most fair comparison.  Weight could be further reduced for the
>SLR by substituting the very good L-series zooms, but you know that they are
>not the equivalent of the EF primes, much less the Leica primes.  And, they
>lack the high speed of the lenses I've included here.  Next, you must ask
>yourself how the Canon primes I've selected for this kit compare to the
>Leicas.

Skip Williams
Westfield, NJ
skipwilliams@pobox.com