Subject: RE: [Leica] Iwo Jima Yet Again
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 18:32:06 -0500

On 9/16/99 6:02 AM bdcolen@earthlink.net wrote

>The reality is that during WWII virtually all journalists were, for want of
>a more elegant, less controversial term, tools of the United States
>government in general and armed forces in particular. They were "on the
>team," heavily censored, taking photos and filing copy intended, at least
>partially, to bolster morale at home and in the trenches. That DOES NOT mean
>that the journalists, both photo and print, weren't risking their lives -
>they were - and weren't doing good work - they did.
>
>But the reality is also that Vietnam was really the first, and it may be
>argued last, major American conflict in which the media was largely
>unfettered.

A good book that goes into the propaganda of news photography in America
in all wars from the Spanish American at the turn of the century to
Vietnam is "Shooting War" by Susan Moeller...a good book on the history
of American War photography.  Have not read the entire book yet but from
what I have read it is right on with what BD is saying.  The news
photographers were used by the DOD as propaganda tools esp in WWI and
WWII...in WWI they were so tightly on a leash that they could not even
photograph the action...in WWII much more action, but were censored....In
Korea a little looser leash; in Vietnam no holds barred.

Heck in the Spanish American War the "journalists" (remember this was the
age of Yellow Journalism) got involved in the battles carrying guns and
leading charges.....

Harrison McClary
email: harrison@mcclary.net
http://www.mcclary.net