Subject: RE: [Leica] Iwo Jima Yet Again
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:02:59 -0000

What is going on here and why has it been going on for so long?

NO ONE on this list has in any way, shape, or form questioned the bravery,
dedication, etc., of any United States Marine - Godforbid. NO ONE has
questioned Rosenthal's photographic skills or willingness to take a risk.
All some people wondered was whether a second flag was raised for what I
would call propaganda purposes.

If that wasn't the case, fine. If it was, fine.

The reality is that during WWII virtually all journalists were, for want of
a more elegant, less controversial term, tools of the United States
government in general and armed forces in particular. They were "on the
team," heavily censored, taking photos and filing copy intended, at least
partially, to bolster morale at home and in the trenches. That DOES NOT mean
that the journalists, both photo and print, weren't risking their lives -
they were - and weren't doing good work - they did.

But the reality is also that Vietnam was really the first, and it may be
argued last, major American conflict in which the media was largely
unfettered.

I would suggest that anyone on this list who is looking for a fascinating
read turn to Will Prochnau's "Once Upon A Distant War - David Halberstam,
Neil Sheehan, Peter Arnett - Young War Correspondents and Their Early
Vietnam Battles,"  Vintage paperback, $15 US, $21 Can,
ISBN 0-679-77265-0. I reads like a novel and includes fascinating detail.

Further, I would urge any of you who haven't to grab a copy of "Requiem," by
Tim Page and Horst Fass, and READ the copy in addition to looking at the
incredible collection of photos by shooters who died in Vietnam.

And now I'll shut up...and pray that this thread soon dies a quiet
death..:-)

B. D. (Dr. Blacktape was smart enough to stay out of this one!)