Subject: RE: [Leica] ..... M advice...
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 07:49:27 -0700

> What would be your advice if I said I wanted to try out the M
> system ? What M model (and lens ) would U recommend for a start ?
> TMLee

The easiest recommendation would be for an M6TTL with either a 35/2
Summicron-ASPH or a 50/2 Summicron.
However.
There are lots of other recommendations that might make more sense based on
your photographic background, your tastes in equipment and images, and the
money you have available.  For instance, a good-condition M3 with a DR
Summicron is a nice classic package that could be attractive if you
a) don't mind used equipment
b) find the 50mm focal length to be of primary interest
c) aren't worried about using a hand-held meter
d) don't care about owning the latest and greatest
e) are attracted by the idea of owning a little slice of history
f) want to save a bit of money over the first choice I gave

There are a lot of other reasonable choices between these two, so why not
tell us a bit about yourself.  Defining the problem domain always helps to
narrow the solution space :-)

Paul Chefurka