Subject: Re: [Leica] Iwo Jima Yet Again
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 07:43:33 -0700

I can never understand why some of these rectal orfice's have to continue
questioning the flag raising. Certainly when anyone with an ounce of brains
knows heavy fighting was still going on and that working on the top of the
hill trying to put it up became an ideal target for the Japanese.

Think about it. If the Marines could see them, wouldn't one think the enemy
could see them also?

And to suggest they re-enacted it for the sake of a news photo is beyond
comprehention, particularly if one has been under fire, as photojournalist
or soldier. By the way, before you ask, I have!

It's a shame this incredible photo made under the heat of battle must be
questioned at all. And I don't know why it has to be constantly explained
to dummies who have not thought about the "battle scene" at the time.

Like this wasn't John Wayne on the movie screen, this was "real time"
action and lots of Marines died for real! And yes, lots of Japanese also.

Accept it for what it is; an incredible photo anyone of us would love to be
the photographer with equal success under the circumstance.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant