Subject: [Leica] Re: Open message to M.J. Small (re: staged photos) longish
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 06:10:27 -0600

At 10:51 PM 15/09/99 -0500, you wrote:
>At 09:05 PM 9/15/99 -0400, Paul Schiemer wrote:
>>I said the photo was staged and, in a sense, it was.
>
>No, you still have it wrong. It was not staged. Please, understand that!

It may be better to state that the second flag raising was a _reenactment_
of an earlier raising which used a smaller flag.  The photo taken, though,
was not posed or staged.  As the flag was being raised, there are reports
that mortars and other munitions were exploding nearby.  It was a real
battle scene, close to where the combat was taking place, and the persons
photographed, as well as the photographer, were in real danger while it was
being taken.

 _
[o] -GH