Subject: [Leica] The changing face of the Lug
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:31:33 +0200

In the (admittedly) rosy view of the past, the members of the Lug
followed this prime directive: to share expert and reliable knowledge
about Leica products and to explore the wonderful and fascinating
world of Leica, technically, historically and artistically.
Every contributor tried to be informative and bring information to
the best of his/her knowledge. When information  was faulty or
defective, the message was: "might you be willing to reconsider the
statement as it could be improved upon".  The common goal was clear:
we all benefit from the best information about Leica we can find and
that can be corroborated.
But since a number of months this directive no longer works: the
content orientation has been changed to a egocentric orientation. Now
a contributor would say: "I do not care if I am right or wrong: the
Lug is a place where I can state anything I wish to say and if you do
not like it, use the delete button". The rudeness of persons and the
thinness of the information are of course correlated.
Many people have mailed me privately asking me to start an
alternative mailing list. That would be the worst option. The Lug is
made by the people who contribute and only they are responsible for
its content and course of direction.
I have as an alternative expanded my site with a Leica FAQ(weekly
updated), produced a guide for choosing a Leica M, gave the real
figures about the rangefinder, made a tribute to the M3 and many
more. Next will be the Voigtlander 4.5/15 and a comparison between
the Focotar 2,8/40 and the Apo-Rodagon, which will surprise everyone.
On the M7 case:
announcements of a new Leica M model have been made on and off this
list for a long time. Mr Gandy is not the first, nor will he be the
last to make statements to this effect. David Morton is correct is
insisting that information with a high journalistic content should be
treated as such. It is however anybody's personal responsibility to
mix fact and fiction. And anybody may note this mix and deplore it.
I prefer to read that someone assumes on available information that a
new M model will be announced in the near future. Any stronger
statement cannot be proven in a documented way.
The same for the  R8 situation, the R9 and whatever the fertile mind
can come up with.

Erwin