Subject: [Leica] Re: comparison of Hologon and Heliar lenses
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:16:07 -0700

At 11:42 AM 9/15/99 +1000, Rob Studdert wrote:

>When the gradation filter is placed on the Hologon the actual aperture is
still
>f8, but the effective aperture becomes f16 due to the light loss incurred by
>the filter. Closing down the Heliar to f16 (to equal the effective
aperture of the
>Hologon) will lead to a loss of quality due to diffraction, therefore it
becomes
>an invalid comparison.
>
>Rob Studdert

This is indeed true. The Large Format world has dealt with "center" filters
for decades. These filters are v-e-r-y expensive! I have one for my 75mm
f/4.5 Rodenstock Grandagon. This lens without the filter has enormous
falloff. But in many cases, this is desirable. One of my greatest
photographs was taken with this lens, sans center filter. This photograph
has sold more than any of my other photographs. Cala Lilies and an old
broken down fence. Ted... think of it as "peeling paint"... :-) . Anyway,
center filters are generally two stops and, of course, as Rob said, it's
the filter, not the diaphragm, that cuts the exposure. A fare comparison
would be with both apertures set the same. To be really fare, the Heliar
should have a center filter as well. I personally think that I would use
the lens without center filter more than with. Just my point of view.

Jim

PS... Welcome back Godfrey...  :-)