Subject: [Leica] Power in the bush
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:18:06 +1000

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
I challenge anybody to find a power point to recharge the batteries
somewhere in
the Australian Bush or in the dessert.
The reason, I don't have a M6 anymore , is the idiotic light metering and the
even more idiotic off-on switch for the light meter. It is hard to believe,
that
a superb tool like a M6
has the worst way of stopping the light meter battery from running down.

It seems to me, when it comes to the mechanics, Leica is tops. When it comes to
the electronics, Leica is the pits.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Horst,

I can recommend "Dick Smiths" solar battery recharger, I challenge anybody
to find a better place to use "god's" own nuclear reactor than the
Australian bush or dessert ;-) Unlike you, I think using a dedicated
rechargable pack is a good idea. These batteries can be recharged without
memory [or so they tell me], they last for ages, and will save you and the
planet a heap. Rollei used one on the 3003, and it was fantastic with only
standard NiCad batteries. You just need to have a spare pack. The great
advantage for Rollei and I presume Leica is the stable output of the
rechargable batteries.

I do however think that you are right with the mechanics V electronics bit.

cheers

Alastair Firkin