Subject: [Leica] Re: E.Adams & Vietnam Photo
From: "Paul Schiemer" <schiemer@magicnet.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 15:35:15 -0400

Eric Welch wrote:
> Second of all, doesn't this question (which is why I'm probably reacting to
> it in such a manner) call into question Eddie Adams' integrity?
No, I'm not questioning any integrity (read back a few pages in this
exchange and you'll see). Just wondering aloud about that couple minutes of
time, what was going on, what was the sequence of events, etc.
> ...he won a Pulitzer. It's his picture. Period. Ninety-nine percent of the
> photojournalists out there working on that level are trustworthy on such a
> topic.
Of course you're forgetting about some highly publicized ruses pulled on the
public and the prized judges (oops, was that a typo?), where the awarded
writer confessed he made the whole thing up.
Or, as I remember, the staged photo of the flag raising on Iwo Jima (to end
up on the cover of Life, to become the model after which a famous sculpture
at Arlington is based. Didn't that win a Pulitzer too??  *There's a couple.
> Or for that matter the credibility, and competence, of editors at AP and
> the Pulitzer judges?
Are you saying they not only measure the 'impact' of the work but gauge the
veracity of the photographer/journalist? Hmmm, if that was so- they must
have let a few slip through.