Subject: RE: [Leica] ....M vs R's...
From: "Lee, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:15:38 -0400

TMLee wrote,

"Just read that someone said it takes some time getting used
to M -use"

I've just recently switched over to an M from a Nikon F, F3
system. One of my big reasons for switching over was being
tired of lugging all kinds of useless junk around all the time.
By this I mean an 80-200 zoom, 105 macro, 24,35,50, flash,
motor drive, extra batteries, effect filters.  I didn't sell
my SLR stuff but I sure won't be using it anytime soon.  All
this stuff was replaced by an M6 and a 50 f2.  I've been out
a few times with my Leica, and I have missed each of my SLR
lenses but if I can wax philosophical for a moment, I am becoming
more of a photgrapher and less of a user of photgraphic eqipment.
There is a huge difference!!!

In terms of adjusting to M use, there are two things I have notcied:

1.  Anticipating action will require more practice.  Over the
years that I have used the Nikon, my mind has memorized the time
dealy between pressing the release and the shutter opening so I
can anticipate the optimum moment. Shutter delay is much much shorter
on the M6, so all my recent "action" shots have recorded an image a
fraction too early.

2.  Focus.  Looking through the M6 finder, everything is in focus.
If the important part of the image is off centre (out of the rangefinder
image) you must remind yourself to focus, because there is no visual cue
that
focus is off.

3. Holding the camera.  I keep on getting finderprints on the M6 finder.

These things will merely take time to adjust too.  My first camera was a
Canonet Q17 rangefinder and I rememebr how clumsy I was when I first
switched to SLRs.

Other things:

1. the 50f2 Summicron blows away my Nikkor 50 f1.4 AIS.
2. People don't notice the camera.  Whenever I've had my F3, MD4 dangling
about my neck, people would always come up to me and talk cameras. I spent
a week with a chrome m6 and chrome lens and not one person, even those
with motor-driven, AF, 28-200 zooms dragging their necks down talked
about cameras.  Even had one person hand me her Minolta Maxxum to take
a pciture of her and hubby and say "Don't worry, all you have to do
is look through here and push the button"

Jonathan Lee