Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 So what! It'll get here when it gets here!
From: Bernard <5521.g23@g23.relcom.ru>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 18:07:44 +0400

Dan Post wrote:

> Gerd-
> I want to reply to the senseless attacks on Stephen for what is only
> an opinion and the passing on of what he considers valid information.

What he considers good advertising for his website is not considered
"valid information" by any sensible person.

> I don't get excited, because if one reads to the end of his page,
> there, you can see the following lines- and my apologies for picking
> them off his page:
>
> "Before I get needless flame mail, let me say that I claim no truth in
> the above Buyer's Guide. I only hope my not so objective opinions may
> help you in choosing your own path to Leicadom."
>
> In my neck of the woods we call that a disclaimer, and is used by the
> wise to, as we succinctly put it here in the hinterland, "cover one's
> ass" -

In my neck of the woods we call that very cheap sales tricks. First you
make some loud announcements bound to get everyone's attention and then
somewhere away from the announcement, you present some general
disclaimer,  boiling down to "don't flame me if I post claims,
unsupported by even a hint at a trustworthy source".

> A disclaimer is usual and customary if what you are saying cannot be
> verified as Gospel Truth, and he did what was wise and prudent. I see
> no reason to personally attack him for expressing what he explicitly
> states is an opinion.

The truly personal attacks were initiated by Steven Gandy himself.

> If he is borne out, then his credibility is enhanced, if he is proven
> wrong- well, he's wrong.

If we see an M7 at the Photokina than Steven is lucky, and nothing more.
Maybe it's worth the gamble for him, to have a chance of saying "I knew
it all in advance". More likely it's just a way to get his name around
(as you see, I'm glad to give him a hand at it). The point is that he
doesn't *know* what he's claimed, and he'd better shut up about it,
until he can come up with some genuine, generally acceptable sources.

> No sense getting your knickers in a twist and bound up in
> consternation over such a trivial matter.

So why does Mr Gandy attack so furiously and make a fool of himself by
saying he's too angry to reveal his sources? First he post something he
thinks will do good to keep his site interesting, and then starts
behaving like he hasn't outgrown kindergarten. I must say I'm quite
amused by all this.

Bernard.